Monday 11 August 2008

Dizzee Rascal - Sirens



  • Genre: Garage / Hip Hop / Rap / Grime
  • Album: Maths & English
  • Time: 03:51
  • Year: 2007

Review:
This is the first video from Dizzee Rascal's album, "Maths + English". This tune is where hip hop meets metal as Dizzee is on form here and puts most of the over-rated rappers to shame. Three minutes in, you can hear Korn's "Here To Stay" riff. Pretty awesome video too; one of Dizzee's best. I like how the fox hunt was used as a visual metaphor. Basically people who are chasing Dizzee are foxhunters and at the end of the video, they pick up the fur from Dizzee's coat like it's a fox. And the blood represents when a child gets their first kill they have their forehead marked with the blood of the animal they kill. Some good acting from Rascal as well.
I don't understand how people think this song glamourises mugging since it doesn't. It's about generations and how things won't change and about the Western world developing into a police state. If you watch the video, then you'll see Dizzee run past the same grafitii again and again, which reads "Only cowards steal from the poor".
Dizzee Rascal shows why he's one of the best rappers - not that that's saying much nowadays. He actually tells a story - like an old school rapper. It's yob-poetry. There's more intelligence in Dizzee's little finger than in he brains of all modern mainstream rap artists. What's Jay-Z rapping about these days? Fucking UMBRELLAS?!

Lyrics:
Rude boy, don't watch thatCause if it's arms-house, I'll rock thatAnd if it's on top, you know I got thatCome through with a big baseball bat
[ Hook ]Blurt when you hear them sirens comingI can hear them sirens comingBetter run when you hear them sirens comingI can hear them sirens coming
[ Verse 1 ]One-to-the-two-to-the-three-to-the-fourLimehouse police knocking at my doorTwelve black boots on my bedroom floorWhat they want with Rascal I'm not sureTook me to the station 8:30For a fight that I had recentlySay they got me on CCTVAnd a pussyole boy's told on meCan't understand why these brers keep snitchingCan't understand why these brers keep bitchingNow I'm hot tempered, feel like switchingCan't stand still, trigger finger itchingGotta stay calm, gotta keep my coolIf I go jail, I'll be a damn foolGotta rise up, gotta stand up tallCan't let them see the end of Dizzee Rascal
[ Hook ]
Yo man, let's take it back to that old-school storytelling shitGet me?
[ Verse 2 ]One day I was with my bredren Adar roaming the streetOn the main road, hungry looking for something to eatNot no burger and no chips, shit that's easily digestedIt's that shit that if you re caught you'll be easily arrestedWe was on a robbing spree, I forgot to mention ClaytonWas this bredder rolling with us, he was scared and it was blatantHe was prang but back to the story, Adar spotted a manStraight ahead of us in the distance with his wifey holding handsSo we followed them through this little alleyway into the flatsWhen we thought the time was perfect, we crept up and we attackedI took the first swing, unexpected causing panicWe was ruthless causing agony in public, it was tragicMe and Adar lost the plot, acting like we was from HellBeat this bredder to the floor, moved his wifey up as wellClayton stood back shaking, wishing that he'd never cameThen from out of nowhere was Alicia screaming out my nameShe went my school, she saw it all, and by this time, she's cryingAnd to make it worse I'm hearing sirens, I aint even trying to hang around
[ Hook ]
[ Bridge ]I can hear them sirens comingI can hear them sirens comingI break the law, I will never changeI break the law, I will never changeI break the law, I will never changeStep into my zone, get your whole face re-arranged
[ Verse 3 ]See me on the telly but I ain't no actorRunning through the street bait-faced, it's a jackwaBroad daylight, no shame like a lunaticRain, hail, sleet or snow, I ain't new to itShow me what you got, better give it up quicklyLay them on their back if they chat back swiftlyBetter mind out when they come through the manor, manKeep them on their toes like Hammer, manIt's no joke, man, woman, and child I'm seekingSee, no sex, no age, I'm creepingAnything for the dough, code of the wheelersDuck from the feds and I roll with the dealersPar with the hard heads and young offendersNo, my life ain't nothing like EastendersStep into my zone, get your whole face re-arrangedI break the law, I will never change

Video:


No comments: